Friday, May 18, 2012

Recovery..

Todays post is brought to you by the letter P - for progress. I had my first follow-up appointment this morning, and I'm on the path to recovery.

Since I've removed the soft cast, I've been able to see and feel a lot of healing, which has been so encouraging. I still have a lot of swelling and bruising, and Dr Theodore explained to me why:

(1) because I was a jerk and ran a lot before surgery, there was an abundance of scar tissue in my muscle. He had to work a little harder to get to the fascia in order to release the compartments. 
(2) he tends to think a lot of the excess bruising, in addition to #1, is from the aspirin they used, in order to prevent blood clots. 
(3) I had all 4 compartments released which isn't "typical" (when I am ever typical, right?). This in and of itself is more of a trauma to the leg that having just 1 or 2 compartments released. 

The stitches came out today, which was a big milestone. Also, I was given a parting gift of an aircast/walking boot, which I must wear for 2-3 weeks. This will force my leg to start making more "normal" walking movements, without the blunt force of walking in shoes. Between the Frankenleg and now the walking boot, I am bringing sexy back in a HUGE way. 

I have been working out like crazy, and I feel surprisingly strong. Dr T thinks the boot will help me adapt to the elliptical soon, which will be a good break from the bike. Also, starting next week, I can being to swim and pool run. Although I'm not allowed to run until I see him again (~6 weeks), I definitely think the pool running will help me in the transition back to running (from a fitness perspective). 

This surgery has forced me to be creative with my workouts, appreciative that I CAN move and sweat, and also so damn excited to get back out there. I'm trying my hardest to maintain my fitness, and also been doing a lot of lifting and core work, which I have always shied away from. 

Progress, in pictures:

About 2 weeks into recovery
Frankenleg took a trip! 
Stitches are O-U-T!


My brand new accessory! 

Happy Training!! Can't wait to see you back out on the roads soon!! 

12 comments:

  1. HOT my dear, HOTTT. I'm serious - you are KILLING this recovery. And if you are killing RECOVERY? Imagine what you'll do once the frankenleg is totally healed?? You amaze me. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - that means so much :) Hopefully you, me, and the healing Frankenleg can have a date soon!! xoxo

      Delete
    2. I absolutely concur with what Jess said, so I won't even repeat it. Just add that you are slowly but surely making your way towards an epic recovery and comeback. Cannot wait to see it in action...and to SEE you. Miss you! like whoa !SOON!! :) XOXO

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much Jo!! I'll definitely see you soon! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness that looks painful. I hope you scored some sweet painkillers to match that sexy boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, it looks a lot more painful that it feels. The bonus of the boot is that it covers up the nastiness ;)

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear that the recover is going well! You will be back in no time at all! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, girl, you are one tough cookie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah.. Its pretty cool what you can do when you don't have a choice ;) Thanks K!

      Delete
  5. Hi there -
    I just shot you an email, thanks for stopping by! We'll talk more, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahahaha, love it!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Meaghan... I've been so behind on reading blogs and am just catching up. I'm so glad to hear that you are making progress and your attitude toward it all is amazing! Love that! Keep smiling... rock the boot (cause it is sexy) and know that you are on your way to recovery!!! :)

    ReplyDelete