Sunday, July 29, 2012

Yankee Homecoming, with a twist..

One of my favorite races is coming up on Tuesday - The Yankee Homecoming 10-miler. I've run it the past 2 years, and will again toe the line on Tuesday. This year, unlike past years, will have a different flavor; I plan on run/walking the 10 miler with a good friend who has never run the distance before.

I've gone back and forth about a million times regarding what I want this run to look like; I know I've mentioned in here before that I wanted it to be my first real test of my running post surgery. I have to be brutally honest with myself - I'm not ready for any type of real speed. I have been working incredibly hard on my endurance, and I actually ran 2 hours and 35 minutes this morning. However, it's been really slow, and with a focus on getting my confidence back. I would be kidding myself, and setting myself up for disappointment, if I toed that line with any kind of a time goal.

I'm choosing to be smart (I know, wonders never cease), and I'm really looking forward to the run. It's always an incredible feeling to run alongside someone in their first effort at a distance. It'll be awesome to cheer on all the other runners around us, while we make our way around the course. For once, I'll be able to truly appreciate the course, instead of being so head down and focused, and cursing every little incline with the scorching sun in my face.

I would be lying if I said that I wasn't slightly disappointed that I'm not ready to lay down marathon pace for 10-miles. However, I AM proud of my progress - I'm being intelligent, and with that, comes sacrifice. Yet, it also comes with long term success. For so long, I've been so focused on the next day/week/month. Since my surgery, I've been much better about thinking about keeping myself injury free for as long as I possibly can. With that, insert Tuesday night's run.

In other non-running related news, I married off my last sister on Friday night. Here is a picture from the bachelorette party, and my favorite of me and Caitlyn from the wedding.

Happy Training!

Bumblebee bowling sucks - yup, I went there. 
I promise we kept a serious face during the ceremony

6 comments:

  1. Not sure I'll make it this year, but regardless, I'll be cheering you on in spirit for sure!

    LOVE the wedding & bachelorette pix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spending time with you and the family, they are so much fun! See you tuesday. Signed, the fat kid who hasn't run 2 hours and 35 minutes in total over the last 3 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look beautiful!! I love these pictures :-) And what a great friend/running sherpa you are for running this race alongside her. I honestly think you are one of VERY few people I could run in a race atmosphere together with and keep calm. You have that influence :-) And speaking of running...perhaps we can venture out on a run together soon! I am proud of you for taking it slow and working your way back up. So smart. And your endurance run? Insanely awesome. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the race... you are a stud! :)

    Those pictures are awesome! Congrats to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great GREAT idea for the race my friend, I am so glad you're taking your recovery and re-training slowly, carefully, and intelligently!

    FABULOUS pics - love that one of you and C, so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear that you are back in the running seen and able to run for that amount of time. Have fun on the 10 miler and it is a good thing to play it smart!

    ReplyDelete