Friday, July 29, 2011

Strategery

Yes people, I do know how to spell - strategery IS a word, Wikipedia tells me so here.

So I have a dirty little secret that very few people know about - I'm signed up for a 70.3 in September. Yes, as in a Half Ironman. No, I haven't done a single triathlon in the year 2011. No, I haven't ever done a triathlon longer than a sprint. These are all facts. However, with the Ironman fires burning in my brain again, I'm going to finish this damn race.

*picture courtesy of www.pumpkinmantriathlon.com*

I'm training hard for Chicago as my "A" race on 10/9/11. Pumpkinman 70.3 is 9/11/11. I am keeping perspective - Chicago is #1, and my goal is to finish the Half Iron with a smile on my face, and not injured.


*finishing happy rocks*

Cue strategery. I have 3 weekends before Pumpkinman that will allow for high volume of training. That allows me 3 more big rides (which would double the amount of times I've been outside on my bike this year - don't you dare judge me), and an opportunity to really build strength for Chicago.

My plan is to back up my Saturday 20-22 milers with a 50-70 mile ride on Sundays of those big weekends. Are you done laughing yet? I said STOP LAUGHING! This will allow me not only the confidence of the 20+ milers for the marathon, but knowing that I can complete 56 miles on the bike without going into cardiac arrest.

My plan for the swim - channeling my inner Natalie Coughlin, and hope I don't have to backfloat during that 1.2 mile swim.


I don't know about you, but I see a STRONG resemblance between the two of us.

Happy Training!!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like I need to set up a water stop at my house for those bike rides! Go get'em!

    ReplyDelete